Help! Client's Three Week Worries

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Wed Feb 5 14:47:14 PST 2003

On 2/5/03 4:45 PM, "Laurel and Rick" <laurick at telus.net> wrote:

> It's tough dealing with jittery sponsors - I believe your sense of certainty
> with the process will influence them

Doug,

I agree with Laurel.

People always resolve these sort of challenges on their own without anyone
adding artificial structure as a solution.  You can also add to your opening
a statement that if we "run out" of official break-out spaces, you may
commandeer any other available space: lobbies, cafes, any other public
space.  (But don't say it if this is not an option.)

One reality is this.  People cannot go where there isn't space.  Folks will
simply enter the various available sessions and find something that works
very well for them one way or another.  They do not expect you to
manufacture rooms  where none exist.  (On the other hand, people who cannot
find room for their session may be a disappointed, but they'll live through
it.  If your client is worried s/he'll be accused of not arranging enough
space, well that may be true, but it isn't open space's fault.)

Now, this may not be a satisfying response to the client's argument, so this
is where your calm and confidence will be very reassuring.  I've never seen
what s/he is worried about occur, and I've never heard of it.

Ralph Copleman