week-apart sessions- Zebra-ost

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Feb 3 15:00:53 PST 2003

Erich (it IS good to "hear" your voice!),

You said:
> To use Open Space for high quality in discussion, you only need passion
for
> your own interests (and some trust to people, you do not know). To use
Open
> Space for the system, you need the passion of the folks for the system.
That
> means, that they appreciate the frame that much, that they want to put
> responsibility to it, too.

They don't necessarily need to appreciate the frame.  I'll explain what I
mean below.

> This might be a difference to the example you talked about. When folks
come
> together who share e.g. professions, they have a more or less clear
picture
> how they can benefit of the meetings. In my example the folks
superficially
> don't share a lot.

In the beginning, folks at Spirited Work didn't share a lot.

> When  I wrote "it needs more activitities than to open spaces" I meant,
that
> the first task of the sponsor is to stabilize the frame, to garantuey the
> continuation at the beginning and let
> an indifferent hope change to secureness, that they are at the right spot
> gather whatever they want to.
>
> And then hopefully
> >folks take more and more
> > responsibility not just for the content of the sessions but
> > the form and direction of the community.
>
> And this will be the moment to suggest an Open Space on the Network.
>
> We are not very far apart in our opinions, arent'y we?

Indeed, we are not very far apart.  I think you have described the
multi-year journey of Spirited Work.  In the first years, people came to
renew and refresh their individual energies.  Most were focused on
individual questions and needs.  I doubt most paid much attention to the
framework.  In the beginning, the framework (OS and Angele's Arrien's
archetypes and SW's purpose (an OS learning community engaged in deepening
our commitment to personal and collective transformation through service in
the world)) was sustained by the original convenors.  Over time, the group
of people, now called the Stewards, stepped forward to act as the keepers of
the frame.  Frankly, it is still just a handful of the people who really pay
attention to the framework.  Most still come for their individual needs.
Interestingly, in this season of the warrior, which happened a week ago, a
number of projects are starting to emerge.  So, we seem to generating more
collective energy than ever before.

Peggy

P.S.  To those (Bobbi, Chris) who have asked about starting Spirited Work in
your area, we discussed this during a break out session.  The notes are
being organized but we're putting together an invitation and "the ten
essentials" and will be back to you very soon...