A request - with thnaks

Denis Cowan cowandp at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 23 11:06:57 PST 2003

G'day folks.

It is just after 4.30 am here in Brisbane.

We are having one of those magnificent summer storms. A sign that El Nino
has hopefully left us for awhile.  Though, when it leaves us it impacts on
our colleagues on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

I am hoping that it is still storming in an hour or so when I cycle off to
work.

  The responses were great.

I have spoken to Alan and we have started planning already.  Alan has,
fortunately,  already pushed my thinking out of my safety zone.Hopefully
Mick will be able to make it up for the weekend.  Having spent good time
with both Alan and Mick during my training has added to my excitement about
the process.

  Thanks Lisa, Joelle, Harrison, Avner & Chris for your comments.  I am
mulling them. The comments about the marketplace taking about the same
amount of time & there usually being only limited  issues and opportunities
have also helped me clear my thinking.  The idea about the walls were
great.  Also providing a sheet for people to fill in their own prog.

The other comment I wanted to make about Open Space is that last year the
planning committee had designed the 2 day event and then invited me in to
run open space around it.  WE did some finetuning of the process and the
outcome was as one would expect - trust the process.  I met with the
committee for reflections after the event and they decided to use Open
Space philosophies for their planning.  I will spend several meetings with
them after the event to reflect on this. One of the organizing committee
last year was a founder of Reverse Garbage here in Brisbane.  We had a lot
of parkland available for sessions.  He brought lots of large items to use
as symbols for space.  Instead of A,B,C etc we  had a toilet pedestal , an
old telephone booth, a large plastic reindeer, a garden gnome.

The same has happened this year.  The committee (all under 30 by the way -
great energy and passion) learnt from last year and designed the forum with
guest speakers etc. in a way which enhances the use of open space.  They
have developed their theme (An axis of hope), created  five spaces for
sessions, created a forum for convergence and a space for closure. Their
focus is on conversations and networking. They have only just asked me if I
would work with them again.

  Thanks  again

  Regards

denis