A request

Denis Cowan cowandp at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 21 14:54:49 PST 2003

G'day folks.

Well one of my dreams has come true - The opportunity to facilitate a 2 day
event with up to 1,000 people (and right here in Brisbane)

  The event is with the Brisbane Social Forum (it is the local offshoot of
the world economic forum) and it is in its 2nd year.  Last year the event
attracted 350 people and it was an Open Space event.

My request

1. Any one who may be in Brisbane on the weekend of 22/23 March 2003 and
who would like to co-facilitate ?  It is a "for love" job, but food and
accommodation could be provided if you would like to come for the event.

2.  To be honest I am feeling a little scared about this. Not scared enough
to say no, but scared enough to not be sure how to manage the marketplace.

The event is being held at the powerhouse (an old abandoned powerhouse
which has been turned into a theatre complex). We will be using the
adjacent parkland area  for the marketplace.  We do not have any wall
space. Last year we had about 100 workshop proposals. People wrote their
idea on a piece of cardboard, used a microphone to tell people their idea
and then placed the cardboard on the ground.  It took about 1.5 hours and
the energy was so high that people are still talking about it.

I would love advice on how to do the marketplace if 1,000 turn up.  I would
love to do the same but if we have 300 workshops, it would take 4 or so
hours.  I am very reluctant to have more than one marketplace operating but
at the moment do not see an alternative

Any advice appreciated

Regards

denis