Empowerment

Gilbert Brenson-Lazan gbl at amauta.org
Tue Feb 18 02:37:56 PST 2003

Food for Reflection:

The first use that I know of, of the term and concept of empowerment, was
in 1968 by Rev. Leonard Campos, who referred to it as creating a process
(space?) in which a person or group of persons are able to develop their
own power.

Somewhere along the line it got changed from a reflexive to a transitive
verb and that was never the original idea as I understood it and it
certainly was never meant to be a synonym of "delegate", as it is used
nowadays in the jargon of modern OD fads.

Warm regards,

Gil

Gilbert Brenson-Lazan - Socio-Gerente
AMAUTA INTERNACIONAL, LTDA