Four way translation of open space

Dominique Proudhon dominique at dproudhon.com
Sun Dec 28 10:48:55 PST 2003

>Systemically it is also the simplest tool people will have for
communally valuing the dynamics of Conflict, Change and Chaos.

I'm not sure what "communally valuing de dynamics..." can mean to the
folks you are targeting. Believe they would find it scary. If a few of
us perceive conflicts as rich and positive opportunities for growth and
creativity, I believe it is important to remember that for most, those
terms actually describe painful experiences that are to be avoided if
possible - or to be used to maintain power. Most people I meet seem to
believe that the "word" IS the "thing" it describes. So better put
ourselves in their shoes when using words... I would propose:  " ...for
transforming the dynamics of conflict, change and chaos into productive
processes stimulating participation, individual and group commitment,
and collaborative solution-building behaviors."

>ps trying to open space the readers of this European Union web in 2004
(crossing a lot of fingers)

As an old friend of mine would say: "If you are trying, it is very
possible you are not doing".
What if the European policy makers and other professionals you are
talking about are not the best open minds?
What if their very status depend on minimal participation and
involvement?
As a European myself, I can't wait to see the people make Europe
themselves. Wouldn't it be good not to depend on some dignitaries and
other deciders to make things happen in an open way? Question is: how to
do it and where to start?
Best of luck in your efforts and keep us posted!

Dominique Proudhon
Dampierre
38470 Notre Dame de l'Osier
France