Civil Conversation

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 22:47:08 PST 2003

I'd like some feedback on an attempt of mine to fuse of 2 big ideas -
one which started with Harrison's theme here and one that started with a
debate with transparent system experts on how to make 2004 The Year of
Transparency (and then every year on)
Let me tell you where this visionary fusion seems to go to and then try
to map it back to see if it could fit with what we are all most
passionate about. Suppose this and other communities started a premier
league of Transparency Nominations of 2004, which we provisionally see
as:
Col 1 Nomination
Col 2 Declared conflicts nominee is setting out to right, and systemic
construct for achieving
Col 3 'Open observatory' tracking progress on righting declared
conflicts
Col 4 'Open observatory' tracking that system isn't falling apart on
other basics over time
Taking Dean for America as an example nomination - I need help here
because not being American, I may not have stated exactly what you see
as its most heroic conflicts to right:
Col2 Right 1: Reverting to government by the people instead of by big
vested interests- basis for doing this : all campaign contributions from
individuals, none from big organizations
Col2 Right 2: America as world's favourite (humanitarian) superpower,
not one in perceived or actual conflict with some of the world's poorest
people -basis for doing this- appears to be mix of using media through
which people actively participate (eg moveon, truemajority, hopefully
open space) and  open declaration, eg through the common sense charter
at http://images.deanforamerica.com/docs/cs/commonsense_print_pg2.pdf
-Which eg includes a promise to restore the Truman vision of us as
superpower: "The only expansion we are interested in is the expansion of
human freedom and the wider enjoyment of the good things of the earth in
all countries. The only prize we covet is the respect and good will of
our fellow members of the family of nations. The only realm we aspire to
eminence exists in the minds of men, where authority is exercised with
the qualities of sincerity, compassion and right conduct."
It isn't entirely clear to me how to ensure flows of the open
observatory other than asking eg communities like this one if you
'co-sponsor'  deanforamerica as a transparency of 2004 nomination to
conversationally report any concerns that conflicts with the basis
transparency goals are emerging. Of course, to the extent that the
transparency register of 2004 achieved large scale awareness the nuances
of how to ensure an open observatory works would change but in principle
they rely on both virtual and real (open space and communal) networking
in which people have easy access to helping spot any concern that the
system is turning against its fundamental transparency mission
I'd like to ask for any first reactions to this idea or points of
clarification. As one other map back idea, if Right 2 is stated
approximately correctly then I would see huge potentials for this
DeanforAmerica conflict goal to be informed by activities developing out
of practiceofpeace.com
A short note on Transparency, as we view it:
Transparent organisational systems audit and resolve emerging conflicts
relentlessly; to do this they must also declare their main contextual
goals openly and invite conversations with deepest external verification
experts. An additional problem today is that transparency isn't what our
institutions have recently been systemized around (Big 5 accounting's
transactional measures are arguably perfect maths for compounding
conflicts when they alone rule corporate governance ) , so we need
heroic nominations to take on one or more conflicts to right, with a
systemic foundation that has a structural chance of achieving such a
breakthrough. Next major meeting space of transparency networkers is
McMaster World Congress (Hamilton, Canada) mid January Corporate
Governance track keynote speech by Don Tapscott. More at
www.valuetrue.com <http://www.valuetrue.com/>
Sincerely, chris macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit:
http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html * *