checklist of what open space can do

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Dec 17 09:30:14 PST 2003

just catching up here.  you might be interested in this
piece, chris macrae...  my own checklist of sorts, i think
like the one you are building.  here's how it starts and
then a link to the several bullet-point lists i've used at
various times for talking about ost...

--

Talking About Opening Space

Before you set up the chairs and bulletin board, before you
send out the invitation, you'll probably have to explain
Open Space to somebody. This isn't always easy. There are a
lot of things it IS NOT, but helping other people see what
it IS can be quite a challenge.

Mostly, I think, this is because it just doesn't matter.
Open Space works, period. If, that is, your purpose is
important and your people are willing to take some
responsibility for addressing it. So the best way to talk
about Open Space is to not talk about it. Talk about the
purpose. Talk about the people, theresources and the
deadlines. The meeting places, the dates, the time
available. Talk about the results you want to achieve. Even
if you really just want to try out the process itself, find
a really juicy purpose or question first.

That said, many practitioners tell me that they are using
the OpenSpaceTech/ExecutiveSummary and
OpenSpaceTech/GuidedTour pieces together as their only
OpenSpaceTech handouts to prospective clients or sponsors.
The OpenSpaceTech/ExecutiveSummary piece is, in fact, being
used in a dozen or more different languages now.

In addition to these, the following list of story seeds is
what I sometimes use to guide the conversation about Open
Space as a method, which is different from (and quite
secondary to) the conversation about the results that
want/need to happen inside of the organization. Sometimes
I've handed clients this list and we talk through them.
Other times I sneak them into the results and event-planning
conversations.

http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?TalkingAboutOpenSpace

--

Michael Herman