Civil Conversation

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 13:06:32 PST 2003

Kerry Wrote:

"As the process is one of the closest things we will ever see to
participatory democracy, it should have a natural application to
politics.  However, there are a few big barriers to such an application
- politicians and politics.  Politicos love to play power games and are
driven by monster egos, not exactly prerequisites for sharing.
Moreover, politics have become media perception (and huge spend)
exercises that negate personal involvement and rely on manipulation,
often promoting fear."

You are correct on the barriers, which makes what is happening now with
the Dean campaign all the more remarkable. It will be interesting to see
how long this situation continues, now that he has definitely moved to
the front-runner position - but for the moment what you are suggesting
in terms of building a platform could happen. Simply create a Meet-Up
group and go for it. Could go nowhere - or catch fire.

And a further interesting point. As near as I can figure out, every
single respondent to my thoughts here has come from some place OTHER
than the USA. What does that tell you?

Harrison