mother list

Rich Foss richfoss at plowcreek.org
Mon Dec 8 09:56:05 PST 2003

mother listChris,

    I am one of the lurkers who reads the list and never writes. Your comment inspired me to come out of the shadows. I am forsaking lurking :).

    Let me tell you what I have been doing while lurking. Last May I arranged for a freind to facilitate a two day Open Space event to launch a nonprofit, Evergreen Leaders. The event was the first board meeting and released great energy among a group who want to teach ordinary people how to help the groups they are a part of to thrive.

    Last Saturday I did my first OS faciltiation in our small (55 at worship Sundays) church on the theme Improving community life from A-Z, common meals to dirty chimneys. At 9:00 a.m. one of our members arrived and said, "I'm here but I don't know how long I'll be here." "That's fine," I said, "We're going to use the law of two feet so you can leave any time you want." (Instead of describing OS in the preparatory session we pastoral elders had simply said that we were not going to use our traditonal format of all sitting in a circle listening to one person at a time talk)

    At 11:30 he was already in his second group, deep in passionate conversation with two other people about an item he posted. By the way, they met by standing around the snack table. What a great way to have a church meeting! Another comment I heard after the issues and opportunities were posted: "I didn't know all these things were in people's brains."

    I have a question. I've seen references on the list to butterflies and bees but haven't been able to dicipher the meaning.

    A former lurker, Rich Foss