shorter formats

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 03:30:35 PST 2003

Dear Dominique Proudhon

Open Futures has facilitated 61 OST events (and 7 other processes).
All but two have been one day with a few half day events.  If you use
a one day format, there are two things to recognise:

1. You need to work to a very tight timetable to cover everything in
one day.  We usually have two marketplaces and two issues and action
sessions, readouts, priority voting and a closing ceremony during a
lapse time of six hours including an hour for lunch.  On the other
hand, space is usually opened within 30 minutes or less after the
welcome from sponsor.

2. You need to brief sponsors about options for post event
implementation of priorities.  As there is not enough time to do
detailed action planning, people have to find ways to make things
happen after the event.  It is very useful to get a commitment for a
post event mechanism from the sponsor during the planning process.

Somebody once claimed to used OST in 30 minute formats at Board
meetings but I don't know how that would work.  However, we have done
four hour events including 45 minutes for lunch and two shorter
break-out sessions.

We cover the shorter format (invitation, timetable and introduction)
in our training manual, THE LARGE GROUP FACILITATOR'S MANUAL (Gower,
March 2003, ISBN 0 566 084 18X), details on our website,
www.openfutures.com.

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures