Field report from the online open space world

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Mon Dec 8 02:42:06 PST 2003

Dear colleagues, dear friends of Open Space,

as many of you know its my mission to enable "Open Space Real-time Bridges" between the f2f world and the internet world and between different methods (f2f and online), and to spread the word of Open Space around the world. A few days ago one of our organizers send me a report regarding his first OpenSpace-Online® experience. Its one of my dreams and hopes, that our method will find beside other fields the way more and more into education systems. The youth is our future, and I find it so important, that young people have access to new ways of open, interdicsiplinary, intercultural, team-oriented and solution-oriented communcation. We had already projects, where partnerschools worked together with our method internationally. This organizer started with our conference software a global working community in the field: education / sustainability / participation / communication / e-learning.

For those of you, who are interested in the report I have copied below his story into this eMail.

Best regards from Berlin!
Gabriela

+ + + + + + +

Field report from an OpenSpace-Online Organizer:

Conference title:
International and interdisciplinary OpenSpace-Online® networking conference "Global Learning & Shaping the Future"

As project manager of Positive Nett-Works Association Hannover - Berlin, I am preparing a worldwide network for the cocreation and co-edition of a multilingual and multidisciplinary Global Learning Online Environment for the worldwide application in schools. I chose Global Education Week (17-23 Nov 2003), organized by the European Council in 38 countries, as international opportunity for making our activities known, and inviting networkers, NGOs, teachers, learners and working in associated fields in the frame of an online conference. My aim as conference organizer was getting to know interesting projects , detect content and strategic commons, in order to initiate international networking activities with our project, but also between the other participants.

My invitation to an OpenSpace-Online® Realtime-Conference (18-Nov-2003) attracted extraordinary attention and broad distribution. The majority of the participants learned about the event from newsletters and mailing lists, and did not know each other before the meeting. In the sense of Open Space philosophy, dedicated individuals with a common interest were meeting with open minds, but also expectation in some form of concrete effects.

My conclusion as organizer:
The event has brought about fantastic conceptual and networking cooperation progress. Besides the participants, this is truly due to the OpenSpace-Online® conference format: It provided full freedom to the participants for bringing in their personal themes, and to express their personal experiences, interests and focal activities. Even when thoughts were not followed in the dialogue thread, the extensive documentation reflects all input, interests, contacts, and ideas for future cooperation. - a great work resource, reflected in this final comment by a participant, experienced in UN circles for 20 years, and head of an NGO with consultative status to the UN: "When are we having the next discussion, and can we include the UN?"

Concerning the conference format, participants and myself appreciated foremost:

  a.. the simple software installation and conference know-how
  b.. the fast technical support all around the clock
  c.. the high dialogue velocity, which produced high information content.
  d.. the surprisingly personal atmosphere; the participants would have enjoyed to discuss for more than 3 hours.
  e.. The possibility of giving informal commentary, and individual address of participants, without disturbing the overall dialogue thread.
  f.. The extensive documentation, offering all dialogue threads, short summaries of sessions, all adresses and email contacts, further, as total document, a great wealth of information about the thematic fields, knowledge, worlds, backgrounds and interests of the participants. This is a potential for post conference cooperation and exchange unparalleled in Face2Face conferences.
Eric Schneider, December 2003

OpenSpace-Online GmbH - The Power of People!
Resselsteig 30, 12209 Berlin, Germany
eMail: contact at OpenSpace-Online.com
website: http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com
International Change Facilitator Conference, 11-14 May 2004, in Germany
http://www.openspace-online.com/oso_en/modul/konferenz/data/offline/anmeldung/index.php