Measurement and stuff

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 07:20:41 PST 2003

Harrison wrote...

> Personally, I find it useful to have a conversation with the "client"
> prior to the event that goes something like this. "Please understand my
> role in this whole thing. I am not here to "save" your project, your
> company, or even your job. My sole concern is to create an environment
> in which you and the people associated with you may be fully and
> honestly themselves. What happens next is up to you." I can't ever
> recall being quite that blunt, and usually you don't have to be that
> blunt. But I think the thought is important.

Actually, I HAVE been this blunt, on more than one occasion.  And nobody
objects, especially if you say it bluntly but not brusquely or dismissively.

As to measuring success, I think we need to keep in mind what the
alternative to having a meeting in open space would be and do our measuring
against those other methods.

We're all in serious trouble if we think a project either succeeds or fails
because of the meeting format employed to talk about it.

....Or am I wrong about that?

Ralph Copleman

P.S.  Here's a little poem I wrote.  Nothing to do with open space as we
typically talk about it.  Hope you like it.

Lover So Cruel

I am a lover so cruel
I want to ruin your life forever,
tumble you in your tracks,