OSonOSinGOA

Janet Pinto janet at bom3.vsnl.net.in
Sat Aug 16 05:14:54 PDT 2003

Dear Friends,

Thanks so much for all the encouraging responses we've received to our invitation. We shall wait for your confirmation at the end of the forthcoming OSonOS.

Brian and Viv have drawn our attention to the need to set the dates so that they can be firmed up at the event in Denmark. Based on our recent explorations we suggest the time from September 24th--30, 2004, for the following reasons :

The off-season hotel rates apply only until Sept 30th. This involves a reduction of about 25%. Hotels are also more open to considering other concessions during this time.   From Oct 1, the normal tariff returns.  This year Goa is expecting a heavy tourist season, which is likely to set a trend for 2004.  (Have a look at the news item posted below.)

Considering that you will be traveling half way round the earth to get here, we thought of laying out a 7-day spread for you (in addition to a plush Red Carpet). Here's a suggestion:

Day 1 : Arrival in Mumbai - after mid-night (that's generally when international flights come in)
          Deal with Jetlag. Take in the Mumbai Citi-sights and rub shoulders with 15 million people.

Day 2.: Leave for Goa. It's a 45 minute flight. Arrive Noon.  Relax. Welcome Dinner.

Day 3:  Goa : Get acquainted with the magic of the Island.  (A Day Long Excursion)
           Inaugural Program.

Day 4 : OSonOs - Day 1

Day 5 : OSonOs - Day 2

Day 6 : OSonOs - Day 3 & Concluding Session

Day 7 : Check Out from Hotel -- late morning.

Those who wish to holiday in Goa, or elsewhere in India, could then leave for their destinations. ( We will be happy to help with these arrangements)

This Program will give participants the choice of arriving on Day 1 or Day 2, without missing out on the major event.

If for some reason, the last week of September is a 'no-no', then we could look at Oct week 1.

Have a Great Time at Denmark.

Looking forward,

Malay & Janet

        Winter's Tale:
        Goa's set for a sell-out act

        By Priya Singh - Times News Network
          Mumbai :  The Russians are coming. And so are the Swedes, the Brits and the Germans. Come October, they'll descend on Goa in droves. With a marked increase in Charter flights carrying holiday - makers to the land of sun and sea this winter, luxury hotels are  witnessing a 25- 30 per cent in bookings between October and March and tourism in Goa could touch the dizzying heights of the Millennium Eve celebrations.

          "Four and five-star properties are filling up quickly and so are hotels down the line. With three additional Charter flights from Russia bringing in a thousand more visitors a week and the Europeans deciding to come back to Goa, it seems to be a promising year after two dull winters," says Suoni Travels (India) CMD Ranjit Malkani. Kuoni, which handled booking for around 22,000 visitors to Goa last winter, expects a 40 per cent increase in sales to the destination, starting October.

          Goa is truly a pocket-friendly beach Paradise for Caucasians compared to exotic and expensive destinations like the Maldives or Maritius.
          Tariffs, including Charter airfares, start from $600 to $700 for a week. Four-star and some five -star properties are gong for $1,000 (including airfare) while at high-end properties like The Leela, prices could go up to $1,600. "We have reason to believe that business this winter will even exceed that of 2000- 01. We expect a 40- 45 per cent jump in business from last year based on tour operator allocations. While tariffs are up by 20 per cent, occupancy should go up from 67 per cent in the coming season," says The Leela, Goa's head of marketing, Anirban Sengupta.

          Indian Hotels, which has several properties in Goa, like Taj Exotica, Taj Village, Fort Aguada and the Aguada Hermitage, says that there may be pressure for rooms as they expect a 20- 25 per cent increase in occupancy.
    Business Times : Aug 6, 2003.