Good OST article in Master Facilitator Journal

Martin Leith martin at martinleith.com
Wed Aug 27 01:19:46 PDT 2003

A friend has just sent me Issue 0111 of Master Facilitator Journal
(www.masterfacilitatorjournal.com), the ezine of FacilitatorU.com. This
features a substantial and well written piece on Open Space Technology
entitled "Opening Space for Natural Evolution.
An overview of Open Space Technology for Facilitating Change." The opening
section reads as follows:

<Open Space Technology is an organic approach to facilitation. It mimics
nature by creating a simple structure through the application of a few
simple rules and allowing for a free flow of communication between all its
parts. Inside this process, groups unfold in a seemingly random fashion, but
in truth, its participants interact guided by their passions and natural
attractions, the most natural of act of all living things.

According to Ann Stadler, Open Space expert, "[This approach] creates the
conditions so that the maximum potential of the individual and the
organization to be realized. Open Space Technology captures the knowledge,
experience and innovation in the organization that is not captured through
less open processes.">

There's one inaccuracy in the article though: "There will be 3 to 5
different topics posted to be running simultaneously under each time slot".
Sounds like someone has just invented The Second Law of Open Space!

Apart from this misunderstanding, it's an excellent introduction to Open
Space Technology, and I thought you'd like to know about it.

Warmly,

Martin

Martin Leith Limited
The Open Space Agency

Note to Steve Davis, publisher of MFJ: There is no limit to the number of
different topics posted to be running simultaneously. If there aren't enough
meeting places to accommodate the number of sessions posted, we create more
meeting places! Thanks for spreading the word about Open Space Technology.

Martin Leith Limited, 1 Princes Road, Wells, Somerset BA5 2DT, United
Kingdom
Telephone 01749 673999 (+44 1749 673999)
Mobile 07808 773713 (+44 7808 773713)
email martin at martinleith.com
www.martinleith.com