Question - more than one theme?

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Apr 21 07:28:29 PDT 2003

On 4/21/03 9:16 AM, "Harrison Owen" <owenhh at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I favor a completely blank wall -- maybe a sign that says "Market" but that is
> it. Really makes the point -- The agenda is yours, and you are the agenda.

I agree with Harrison.

And while I favor a blank wall, I¹ve also done it this way.  Clients who¹ve
used open space and find at the end of the meeting that they¹ve narrowed
their focus to a short list of topics have sometimes chosen to do a second
meeting in OS.  I set the second meeting up as a time when folks have the
opportunity to dig deeper into the short-listed items.  These items are sort
of already posted.

All the participants know what¹s going on since they¹ve been with the
process from the start.  And I always tell such a second-time group that
this is still open space.  Therefore anything goes.  People are not
restricted to the pre-posted items.

The entire effect, I hope, is of a continuing story unfolding in two
directions.  One is straight down the story line that grew out of the first
gathering, and the other is moving in all directions simultaneously as the
system spreads itself out.

What happens?  At the outset everybody gravitates toward the pre-posted
topics.  By lunch time they¹re done with those and looking for more, so they
create more topics and move around.  A LOT of butterflying takes place.
Many people talk in twos and threes.  The convergence produces new and
richer twists on the original short list but not a lot of radical change
about overall priorities.

Ralph Copleman