OS and strategic planning

Jaime Pedreros Fitzgerald jpedrerosf at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 14:46:13 PDT 2003

Hello dear colleagues,

Most of the OS literature I have reviewed mention that
OS is not useful (or would not work) in strategic
planning gatherings. I would like to mention that my
first experience (november 2000) with OS with an
business education institution consisted of "ways to
enrich our strategic planning approach". This was
conducted in two different brief gatherings, the first
one with staff (5 people, 3 hour) members and the
second one with selected (11 people, 4 hour)
instructors. Actually, the second workshop was a
suggestion of the person in charge of correspondence
delivery (a kind of post man). Despite the manager's
"eager to control everything" some useful perspectives
were developed:
First meeting:
Investigate the competence
Improve ways to face the future
To take advantage of the institution's best resource
(instructors)
Second
A SWOT matrix
List of suggestions to strength the organization

My doubts and needs of additional information arouse
because the tax authority in Bolivia (to whom I have
already submitted a proposal to complement new staff
members' induction process by using a half-day
conventional training and half-day OS meeting) asked
me to elaborate a "consensus" for the strategic
planning of the organization (by using alternative
methodologies). Later on, I (in case the contract is
awarded to me) will organize three workshop in the
corresponding major cities. These workshop will serve
to discuss the draft of the harmonized document as
well as to select participants for a "main event" in
which the final document would be elaborated.

MY questions are as follows:

To what extent can OS be used in this case
Is there any former (and of course, successful)
experience about OS and strategic planning

Your kind assistance is highly (and obligedly)
appreciated.

Warm regards from La Paz

Jaime