strategic planning

Pattillo pattillo at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Apr 8 23:20:57 PDT 2003

10% implementation

It seems to me that at the heart of strategic planning is that great quote -
"chance favours the prepared mind".  While I accept that the physical
documentation of a plan is for some the most important thing, and getting
the strategic plan onto one page is important to others for me it is the
least important of matters.  Perhaps it's my lack of completer/finisher -
who would now.

Strategic planning is I think that rare opportunity for reflection and
creation of our thoughts (plans) about how we would like to engage with our
future and with one another and the things we do.  Anyone who approaches
strategic planning as a control of the unknown is I think a little mad.  It
is in this light that I think open space gives life to the heart of
strategic planning.  It gives anyone who cares in the future of an entity a
chance to reflect and create the sense of how they would like to move
forward.  Implementation is not it seems to me an appropriate measure of
strategic planning or open space - awareness, readiness, agility,
connectedness, sustainability are, I think, better yardsticks.

In traditional strategic planning only a few people get to develop this
awareness, using open spce in strategic planning means that any one who care
enough has a prepared mind for chance and the future.

Anne Pattillo

Anne Pattillo Consulting

Phone 64 4 473 2702

Fax 64 4 4732703