A strange open space...

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Sep 28 16:34:40 PDT 2002

Dear Glory,
the only thing in your report that raised a question is when you say
"...I opened ...space".
To me, it has become ímportant to make sure that the sponsor "opens"
the space.
In fact, I believe that only the sponsor can open the space for
his/her own system/organisation.
That is, only someone who is a part of the system can do that.
Me, as facilitator, I introduce the gathered people into the open
space technology.
And then, if I have my wits about me, I become as invisible as
possible.
As far as your question "allowing" the presentation and the presence
of  your students: were these questions discussed by the system (the
planning group) before or after the os?
My experience is that "presentations", "lectures", "excercises" etc.
are no distraction at all if entered as issues along with the other
issues with participants deciding whether they want to attend
sessions for which these things are posted. In smaller os events
(like yours with 30 attending) I have seen practically everyone then
attending such a session or, also, nobody going there. As long as the
whole group is not obliged to attend such sessions (space invaders
might suggest or even insist that it would be very important for
everyone to stay for this particular item because it would so much
further the process of communication, etc.).
As far as "allowing" students or people not directly or only
partially part of the system: I encourage the planning group to think
broadly about who all is part of the system and who all needs to be
at the event to make it productive, fun, action oriented, etc. It is
for them then to decide who needs to come.
Greetings from Berlin
michael

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:42:35 -0400, Glory Ressler wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>I have been following the messages but haven't 'spoken' for awhile.... a
>'strange' OS experience has pulled me out of my silence. I am hoping to
>learn from our collective wisdom.
>
>On this past Thurs. pm,  I opened a 2nd space for a local town who is
>currently conducting community planning and who wanted (were also
>required) to factor in community input. This 'town' is the oldest in
>Canada and includes 4 other small and historic communities rich in
>history.  A bit of background - they had their first OS in July which I
>facilitated - the theme being 'Our Town, 2022'. It was well attended (65
>out of approx. 500 residents). 9 topics were generated and the energy
>flowed well. The closing circle comments and written evaluation
>indicated that many there wanted a 2nd meeting.... and I was contracted
>for another OS meeting on Sept. 26th.
>
>Two days before the meeting was to be held, a resident of the Town
>called my office and asked whether he could post a topic (Heritage) and
>offer a slide show. It was clear that he had made arrangements with the
>Town as well. I went over the principles and the law, etc... and he
>decided to go ahead. Also present at the meeting were 6 students from a
>course I teach called 'Smart Thinking', wherein we study and operate
>(partially) in Open Space. Several of these people also happended to be
>residents of the Town - which was a an additional benefit to them. 1
>student joined in the community planning discussion and the other 5 held
>an informal discussion on OST, smart thinking and community planning.
>
>Here's the strange part - only about 30 people attended (the sponsor
>expected more, not less, people) and they generated only 3 topics. Many
>were busily going over the Book of Proceedings from Meeting 1. As they
>broke for their discussion, I invited them to post other topics
>throughout the course of the meeting. The Heritage slide 'presentation'
>took over - with the sponsor pushing for open discussion, which did
>eventually take place. It was everything I could do not to get in
>there... The report generated was quite specific with regard to
>community plans. The closing circle comments were of the same sort along
>with some 'we didn't need another OS meeting' and some 'I'm glad we had
>another OS meeting'. The energy was very muted.
>
>Here's my question - what are your thoughts on my 'allowing' the
>'presentation' and the presence of my students? I have been pondering
>whether these factors somehow inhibited the space... What might you have
>done differently?
>
>Thanks and best wishes,
>glory
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.