OST, OD, etc.

Bernd Weber weberb at gmx.at
Fri Sep 27 02:00:51 PDT 2002

Dear all,

although I have not much time for list-discussions at the moment, I
jumped to the OS vs. OD-thread, intrigued, interested and finally
feeling my heart beginning to hurt, mainly because of the we/they
projections.

I felt: much of what was said about being "bad" with OD were things
"OD" people would say about other OrgConsultancy "schools"

Why OS vs OD , why not OS&OD?

I am an OD consultant, I think OST is a very strong instrument and
that the "OS organization" concept is fascinating. More and more of
my everyday professional practice becomes "open spaced" (at different
scale levels). I think, OST is a "genial trick" to deal in a simple
way with the complexity which opens once that self-organization gets
a chance to come out of its hidden spaces.

But still, I do not only OS interventions/facilitations. I love to do
different things. Sitting in a circle and lead or being led through a
mental journey to the future can be great, and so are many other
things. I believe in and fight for methodological diversity.

I felt so much to be said, that I gave it up before trying it.

So I was really happy with Chris Kloth's contribution, which
formulated many of the aspects I would have liked to say.

Thanks.

Ralph wrote: "I’m not a big defender of the OD field any more, not
since I concluded it gave up its mission of democratizing and
humanizing organizations and replaced it with near-blind willingness
to help execs manipulate people for the exclusive sake of the
financial bottom line".
Did IT? Fields do not do such things, Persons and Organizations do.
For me, and all the OD consultants, who are my friends, this is still
one of the fundamental points of OD and a basic difference to some
other Organization Consultancy approaches/styles/schools.

And it this tradition-line, going back to Kurt LEWIN (who already in
the 40ies knew more about problems and solutions of "organization
transformation towards democracy" than one would believe, seeing the
marketing strategies of ...STOP Bernd! I did not want to fall into
the 'we/they' reduction)) which makes me still proud to be an
OD-consultant.

And which means, that I did NOT accept "manipulative" interventions
and said NO to consultancies with hidden anti-democratic agendas.
And I do feel very well with this.

Since there are some guys of ODnet and IODA discussing on this list,
what do you think about this point? After having stressed the
differences OD/OS it could be a good idea to look out for
similarities, because I still feel these two as being house-to-house
neighbours.

Bernd

-----
weberb at gmx.at, on 27.09.2002 at 10:25:18 (GMT/UT + 02:00)
No attachments
Bernd Weber
e-mail: weberb at gmx.at
----
C.P. 1462, Beira, Sofala, MOZAMBIQUE
fone: +258-3-32 98 59, cellfone:+258-82-43 79 77
----
Gumpendorfer Straße 88b/18, AT-1060 Wien AUSTRIA
fone:  00431 596 86 57, cellfone: +43 0664 7667872
----
Wenn Du meine private elektronische Diskussionsgruppe abonnieren
möchtest,
sende einfach eine E-Mail an berndweber-subscribe at yahoogroups.de
----
Inscricao no grupo de discussao "Sistemas organizacionais":
Escrever um email para o endereco <sis-org-subscribe at eGroups.com>