OST vs OD

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Sep 26 20:49:35 PDT 2002

hello rob... you remind me of two things...

>We have become conditioned to look for the "savior".

i often tell people about open space that the action doesn't matter as much as the
practice.  and the practice is inviting.  is the law of two feet.  is learning and
contributing as much as we can.  is paying attention to our own choices and
condition.  if we keep the space, the bboard, the mktplace, the ground etc, open,
and keep doing the practice... the action happens.

>Then we go back into the world around us.  The facilitator, well we did it
>ourselves so why bother, it is so simple anyone can do it.   So we see the
>organisation reform about their old norms and get on with the job.  The
>participants filled with the experience bounce back into the world, only to slam
>headlong into brick walls of the REAL world.

i also describe open space in terms of harrison's basic human mechanisms... cirlce,
bboard, breathing (pulsation), mktplace  and encourage them to look for ways to
practice any of these... or invitation, self-selection, one more thing to not do...
etc.  ...anything that they see they can get away with.  i encourage them to take
whatever of it they can and see if they don't get better results.  when they do,
then they'll have a little more space to work with next time... and even if it
takes years to get to a full-blown ost event, when that comes, they will know that
they have acutally been practicing open space for years and so won't have any
trouble walking in and opening the event.  what's more, when they look backward,
they can often find moments when they've already done these things... and suddenly
the practice is not something new fighting with an old, it's something they already
know and can now extend and expand... and often less trauma.

for what it's worth, for now.

looking forward to seeing you in melbourne.

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610
312-280-7838 voice