OST vs OD

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Sep 26 11:27:16 PDT 2002

Meg--

Great question, and I like the comments from Winston and Michael H.

Harrison led a very large Open Space conference as one day of the ODN
national conference in Baltimore in 1994.  So it has been on the radar screen
at some point.

For experienced OD consultants and conventional facilitators, OS requires a
certain amount of unlearning, willingness not to be in control of outcomes,
and other risky behaviors.  Some of us find that a lot more fun than OD!

As far as theory goes, it informs my practice, but the client is almost never
interested in the theory.  They are interested in what happens in their
organization in OS and after, and as Michael points out, OS is very congenial
to doing something.

OS is not the only approach I use in my practice.  But some of the others are
getting to look more like OS as time goes on.

Joelle