AW: Graphics in Open Space

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 25 06:39:42 PDT 2002

At 07:16 PM 9/22/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Yes Harrison, THAT is real Group Graphics.
>
>Some years ago I would have made some hesitant remarks like: "people in
>Open Space are mainly concentrated on their themes and discussions and are
>happy, if someone lends them his feltpen and provides them with a picture
>record".  But after several experiences with drawing folks (the last one
>with 300 people at BMW drawing on posters we had prepared) I assume that
>people are happy to draw under any condition. So my question is: since
>people at Open Space like painted records much better than written ones,
>and since I am convinced that they can carry at least the same message,
>what does it need to make people really do it, to take markers and crayons
>and draw? Who can spread the message? Is there some need of training the
>facilitators visually? Or only encouraging them?

You asked -- "what does it need to make people really do it" The key word
here (for me) is "make." You can't do it, and still keep the space open.
Invite, encourage -- yes. But make, No! And if invited -- folks seem to
respond. And if they don't, that is their choice, which must be honored.
And I am not at all sure that "people at Open Space like painted records
much better than written ones." Some do. Some don't. It is about choosing,
and being responsible for your choice. Actually, there are instances when
folks really don't want (or need) any sort of record at all. The experience
itself is/was more than sufficient. No words, pictures, or other
representations needed.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive