AW: Using digital cameras...and much more than that!

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Sep 22 21:48:14 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/22/02 7:39:00 PM, 76066.515 at COMPUSERVE.COM writes:

<< Do either of you have examples of the kinds of drawings people do? This

sounds exciting, but I wonder if there are a lot of people who object,

saying, "I could never draw...."

Doug--

I don't ask for a drawing, but ask people to put something visual on paper
which reminds them of what they saw in their guided imagery (of the future of
the organization, for example).  If they seem hesitant, I say that it doesn't
have to be a picture but can be a symbol, a color, even a key word written
with a colored marker.  I might add that there will be no prizes for artwork,
we are just trying to capture the feeling in visual form.

In fact, participants rarely object when I ask them to do something out of
the ordinary.  I think it is partly because I am confident of my reasons for
suggesting the task.   And I say "Do this,"  not "Would you like to do this?"

In a recent meeting with a women's circle, we were working our way toward a
mission or purpose statement, and I asked people to envision the group a year
in the future.  We had four sketches:

A flowering vine, with a heart and musical notes.

A circle of lighted candles, each candle a different color but the same
flames.

A large tree with many branches, standing in the midst of fields of lavender.

Sun-like rays radiating out from the center, and an angel hovering overhead.

It is not immediately obvious how these sketches contribute to the process,
but the energy in the room, and the work done on the writing task had a much
higher quality after the drawing exercise.  I put the sketches on the wall
for the next meeting, and they carry a lot of energy.

You might think that this worked well because it is a women's group, but I
have had similar experiences with a software company, manufacturing companies
and others.

My two cent's worth. . .

Joelle