OS in oral cultures

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 11:13:08 PDT 2002

Bernd--

I know that your oral OS, without the need for props or writing, will work
very well.  John and his colleagues have done it in Haiti, Judith has done
it, I know that Chris has used a similar format for some OS gatherings at the
rural conference center in North Carolina.  So you can reassure the internal
consultant that this is indeed possible and has been done successfully by
your colleagues.

As for commitment, I think that speaking the discussion conclusions in the
whole circle, witnessed by everyone present, will reinforce the commitment to
carry the proposed actions forward.

You did not mention whether any sort of report is needed for those who manage
the overall program.  If that is a necessity, I think it must be taken care
of by whoever is in charge of the OS.  Could be in writing or orally in a
face-to-face meeting, either reporting on the OS event or reporting
afterwards about actions taken in the community as a result.  But I like the
idea of keeping everything congruent with the participants' normal modes of
communication and not imposing a whole structure of new requirements.

This is a great project, very ambitious and exciting!  I wish you the best of
luck.

Joelle Everett