AW: Using digital cameras...

WB-TrainConsult wb-trainconsult at gmx.net
Sun Sep 15 05:17:47 PDT 2002

Winston,

Following Reinhard's argument...

Yes, with a little bit of on-the-job instructions for a functional
team of visual documentalists you can get a good result.

In workshops here in Mozambique I ritualized the installation of such
functional teams (in fact in all structured events bigger than a
small group meeting):
moderators/documentalists/steering team/research team

They are (except the moderators) all participants of the trainings or
workshops and do their job parallel to their general learning/working
job. Partly during the normal working times, partly in the short
breaks, focussed in half an hours work after the evening circle of
the plenary. They present either their products or their insights and
learning experiences during the morning news.

The visual documentalists use 1-2 cameras (e.g. Nikon Coolpix 995
does it nicely), a laptop, a printer and produce each evening a part
of the printed morning news, finishing their work (uploading,
actualizing title list, transferring fotos into the prestructured
layout of the daily news) during the last session.

Example of some of their special tasks are:
*Full documentation of flip-charts, pin-charts and any object that
gets symbolic meaning during the work (e.g. a tibetan bell) or part
of the broader environment which becomes relevant
*at least one foto of each working group/structure
*two portraits of each participant: one tele they take him/her in a
pose, the documentalist thinkgs to be typical ("my impression"), one
in his/her own pose ("his/her self-presentation").

I do not know how this would work in the northern countries, but the
juxta-position of the two perspectives and having a portrait of each
participant right on the title page and or back of the final report
produces lots of fun and learning.

To not interfere with the minimum principles and the law of OST
however, I prefer to have one external fotodocumentalist with much
the same tasks (or less or more, depends on what visual documentation
interests are declared by the working groups).
Of course, the OST-facilitator can not be the one, although it would
seems a rational thing from a non OST-point of resource-management.

Bernd
-----
wb-trainconsult at gmx.net 15.09.2002 at 13:40:15 (GMT/UT + 02:00)
1) attached to this e-mail : No file
2) All attached files are mentioned by name in the lines above.Please
do not open any other attachment!
3) Please send text documents in RichTextFormat/*.rtf, if possible.
This also facilitates communication between the mac- and ms-world.

----
Bernd Weber
Organization Development Consultant

"DEVELOP YOUR CAPACITIES - MATERIALIZE YOUR VISION"

C.P. 1462, Beira, Sofala, MOZAMBIQUE
fone: +258-3-32 98 59, cellfone:+258-82-43 79 77

-----
WB-TrainConsult
management- & human resources
training, consulting & development
-----
Gumpendorfer Straße 88b/18, AT-1060 Wien, AUSTRIA
fone & fax: +431 596 86 57, cellfone: +43 0662 7667872
-----
Inscricao no grupo de discussao "Sistemas organizacionais":
Escrever um email para o endereco <sis-org-subscribe at eGroups.com>