I just discovered Reed's Law

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Thu Sep 12 16:28:43 PDT 2002

Toni Sar'h enquired:

>  Okay, let me be the one who doesn't totally understand.  I AM with
you to
>  the 2 to the power of N - then why are you subtracting the number in
the
>  group and then 1?  Thanks for the assist.

Well, I hoped my disclaimer re: not being a math genius would exempt me
from questions like this, but anyway...

I think that the subtraction of N and then one somehow deals with the
fact that, leaving metaphysics aside for the moment, one cannot connect
with oneself in a network...

But more detailed explanations will have to come courtesy of professor
Google who gave me the following answers:

http://arnoldkling.com/~arnoldsk/aimst3/aimst304.html which explains it;

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200101/ib_01_31_01a.html which
thoroughly discusses it and;

http://www.contextmag.com/setFrameRedirect.asp?src=/archives/199903/Digi
talStrategy.asp which is David Reed's own thoughts on the subject.

Happy surfing

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN