Continuing to be surprised.

Eiwor Backelund eiwor.backelund at centerpartiet.se
Fri Sep 6 19:06:43 PDT 2002

Hallo Joan,
I have not openspaced with a deaf community but I have had the same
experience that you had twice. The first time I thought that maybe I could
have done this another way, maybe by providing my words written down on
paper for those who could not hear so well. The lady that was angry at
that time choosed to leave the meeting. I told her I could go over
everything with her alone but she refused and said that she couldn´t see
any meaning with that. The second time the lady came afterwards and asked
what I had said as she could not hear and when I told her she went to
write issues and asked others to help her when she didn´t know how to post
the properly. My experience is that how people handles this depends on if
they want to take part in the meeting or not. My guess is that the first
lady saw a chance to leave because she did not want to continue but this
way she could put the blame on me. The other lady wanted to continue and
found ways to do that. But of course if you do an open space with many
deaf people an
d you know about it you can think about things to do to make participation
easier for them.

Blessings
Eiwor