stories of results from opening space in divided communities.....

romy shovelton romys at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 19 11:07:24 PDT 2002

hello dear colleagues and friends......

I would love your help in tracking down brief details of stories that show
the results of opening space in DIVIDED COMMUNITIES...............A note on
the reason why, is below.  The ideal will be to be able to give (by the end
of next week) a pen picture of Open Space stories which tell of:

a) the issue
b) the approach ie. anything about that particular Open Space (OST)
event/programme eg. the theme, how the people were gathered, who the
sponsor was or anything else that seems relevant
c) the outcomes

For instance........ can anyone help me with an outline of:

1) the work that was done in S. Africa many years ago, in the township next
to Soweto, when Soweto was in flames.  The presenting issue was Taxi
Wars........ which was too inflamatory a topic to be used in the Open Space
theme itself........so the brilliant theme was "How do we make it so our
children can play in the streets again".  Can anyone confirm whether I have
remember this outline correctly....... and fill in a few more details +
what happened after the Open Space?  I know that OST has been used for
years and years in S. Africa..... and that there are many stories.

2) any news on what's happened since the amazing work that Harrison, Tova,
Avner and Carol did in Rome with 50 Israelis and Palestinians?

3) I am looking to find out what happened since the two Open Space events I
did in Northern Ireland (Craigavon, including Portadown) last spring - one
for young people and one for the wider community (including young people).

4) any other stories of folks in divided communities? For instance,  Chris
(Corrigan), your stories are always so amazing, and I found several while
searching www.openspaceworld.org for stories.... Do you have any that
relate to divides within First Nation communities of between First Nation
folks and others?

All help will be hugely gratefully received.   And  please do tell me to
"go look in........" if that is what's needed.  I am aware that I have been
rather invisible on the OSLIST in recent months (nay years!!)......  and I
do treasure every moment I dip in and see the incredible things that are
being created through opening space around the world.  Thank
you............

THE REASON FOR THE REQUEST
thanks to Tova and Harrison, I am now in touch with a totally wonderful
organisation in the UK, called Trafford Hall.  They support low income
communities eg. on large housing estates, to build their own capacity to
change life in their communities.  Their training courses and workshops are
highly practical, in addition to taking people through the appropriate
emotional and relationship connections that will really make a difference
to their individual and collective futures.....  (Btw, these are my
words......  I'll trust that they are accurate !!)...

A couple of months ago someone from the LSE (London School of Economics)
who had experienced Harrison and Tova's work with folks in Israel suggested
that Open Space /OST would be helpful for the people at Trafford Hall......
 this lead to them getting in touch with me.  The request was/is to design
a two-day workshop called "Breaking down the Barriers", to help communities
that are experiencing tensions between black and ethnic minority and white
folks. The aim is to do some work on the barriers themselves and to give
the people some skills that they can continue to use 'back home' and in the
on-going work that will be done with them. I've put together some ideas
which seem to be fitting the bill.......  so now the good people of
Trafford Hall are putting together a proposal for funding of the
course........... which with any luck may be able to begin at the end of
the year.

So....... these Open Space/ OST stories will be hugely important to back up
the proposal....... and would be really welcome, if possible during the
coming week.

thanks again dear Open Space community

warm wishes and hugs (to those that know me and want a hug !)

Romy

PS just had lunch with Anne Stadler near Trafalgar Square in London.  Oh
what joy!