imagine conference in open space

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Sep 15 23:10:14 PDT 2002

hi all,

a wee bit of news from chicago where we finished a
most-of-three days sort of ost with the 'imagine' programs
from all around the world.  had 6 continents, 16 countries
represented by more than a hundred warm bodies, youth and
adult, meeting in an old maori (new zealand) meeting house
at the field museum in chicago.  some of the logistics of
being in the museum were a bit rough, but in the end that
only added to the character of the whole wonderful event.

we kicked off the morning of day one with some stories of
sacred objects and some appreciative inquiry conversations.
the afternoon of day one was opening and one breakout, then
the 10th anniversary gala dinner for imagine chicago, the
local host org and pioneering appreciative inquiry group.

day two saw four breakouts, the continuation of the first
day's topic postings.

on day three, we printed out the proceedings and did a
little non-convergence re-opening of the space for two more
'action - do it!' sessions, based on the learnings from the
previous days.  finished with a closing today.

many will stay in town for the next two days, visiting local
imagine programs, among other things.

this entire conference is documented and will hopefully
continue to unfold in a wiki i've just set up at
http://www.globalchicago.net/imagine

along the way we had painting and singing and drumming and
mime and drinking and lots of digital photography.  in fact,
when we all posed for the group photo, so many people jumped
out to take a photo that we seemed to be re-forming the
circle!

havent' read the latest on digital photos, but hope to catch
up on the last couple weeks before i take off to lead
training and practice workshops with our friends marty
giannnini, brendan mckeague, sankar ramamoorthy and some
others around the globe.

best for now... and do check out this new wiki bit.  it's
really a gas and this one's got a good chance of going
somewhere, i think.

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610