mental meanderings - you got me going Julie (long)

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Wed Oct 30 20:55:04 PST 2002

Harrison wrote,
I suspect that "transparency" for instructors and mentors is the true index
of their real effectiveness. The next question is -- how do you foster that?
And you won't be surprised to learn that my suggestion is  -- Open some
Space. Not only would that mean Opening Space with these folks around the
"issues and opportunities for Transparent Teaching" -- but also some intense
reflection of the Open Space experience itself -- where it seems to me
transparency rules -- or something like that.

I like "issues and opportunities for Transparent Teaching" a lot as a theme.
If we do hold an OST on this topic, the teachers will want to move away from
"talk" -- instead of discussing transparent teaching, they will want to do
transparent teaching, with each other.  Isn't that how it should be?
Metalworking and music and movement and munching on sassafras roots...while
the convenor practices the art of invitation, full presence, transparency?

What I am learning from working primarily with children is that, while they
use words beautifully when it is called for, they would rather be climbing,
or painting, or walking barefoot in the woods.  (They don't have any
difficulty with Julie's question of Ralph, "So how do we get back in harmony
with the natural order?"  They just do it.)  So perhaps another of the
beliefs of schooling that we do well to abandon is that language is primary,
more important than other realms of experience.

So what would Open Space and self-organization look and feel like if we
followed the childrens' lead and recognized the dominance of words as our
prison, and swung wide the door, and walked out?

Chris