What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 12 12:06:45 PDT 2002

Lisa--

 << My dos rubles

Hmmm.... Is this mixing metaphors? For instance, what does your disk
operating system sound like when it rubles? <grin>

 << And on a more event design note, shorter OSs are perfectly fabulous,
 << I've found.  Thanks to dear Jeff Aitken for first stretching my mind on

Might you or Jeff or someone else stretch my mind on this one?

Part of what raises this question is the opportunity I am being given to
help a local Senior Independent Living facility open space in a series of
events.

The sponsor is a wonderful group of people who really care about seniors in
our community. They have noticed that elders don't get much respect in the
medical waiting rooms (they are allowed to sit while others coming later go
in ahead of them) and in the medical examining rooms (the Drs. often only
have a few moments to spend with each person, and if they cannot articulate
their problem that quickly, nothing much is done for them).

So they want to have 3 1/2 Open Spaces. The subject will be approximately
"How good can senior healthcare become?"

My contact wants to have an expert from afar come in for a 1 hour segment,
then break up into open space for the rest of that session, and 3 more.

Currently, she wants to have each session 2 hours long, and with a month
between sessions.

The two hour sessions might be a concession to the energy levels of the
seniors (although I could from experience say that it energizes people). I
think maybe I want to see if we can move them closer together, like say a
week apart (it might be a problem of having the space already committed).

The hope is that medical people and seniors will talk together and also
come up with some practical things they could do to help each other make
healthcare for seniors better (such as elders teaming up to go with each
other to their exams so that one who is more articulate, for instance,
might help another less so, etc.).

So this sounds a little like your "swirling of ideas" and "noticing what
works"--a good instance for a "shorter" OS.

So if you were to do it, would you do the 2 hour sessions on this topic?
How would you arrange the schedule?

                              :-Doug.