poem

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Tue Oct 29 11:58:01 PST 2002

I have felt the earthy peace that grows from the center of the circle.
In rainy budapest the bus arrives; late that night we find small beds.
The russians are coming after days on an ancient train.
Morning in the village: eighty people, eighteen tongues, and the shock
Of a coup in russia. the space yawns open like an earthquake fault.
But peace is a living being, like snaking shoots of ivy that wrap and
intertwine us.
On the third day yeltsin stands triumphant in the street. and here a trunk
yawns open:
Vodka by the case, and eighty crystal glasses. we toast. we sing. we dance!
My father taught me to hate the russians - their menacing blood-red on the
world map - but
I have felt the earthy peace that grows from the center of the circle.

(ten long lines ;-)