Access Queen says: Bring/send your wares to the Global Village Marketplace!

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 14 20:30:52 PDT 2002

Hello, dear colleagues - AQ here.

So at last year's OSonOS in Vancouver we started this idea I learned
from my participation in the International AIDS Conferences - and that
is the creation of a village marketplace where NGOs bring their arts and
crafts to sell to each other to raise funds.  It is truly a marvelous
experience to see what your brothers and sisters around the world have
made and to support them in their work.

So we created three or four tables last year full of poetry from
Florian, knitted Turkish-style slippers from Nuran, earrings and
hand-made cards and Russian shawls and other amazing and marvelous
things.  And everybody bought what they could to support each other, and
many of us 'went home' with each other in the forms of things we made
(hmmm made some things that are sitting on Jimbo's mantle, nestling in
Florian's home, smiling up at Nuran.it's like I get to visit, in a small
way, with all those people around the world.)

This year you are invited to bring artisan work / folk art (poetry,
jewelry, shawls, teacups, whatever you think represents your country
and/or your own art) to the OSonOS in Melbourne if you are coming, or to
send it along with someone in your region who is coming.

You (or your delegates to Melbourne) can sell it to recoup some of your
travel expenses or you can raise the money for next year's Access Queen
fund to help some lucky and brave future 'askers' for the next OSonOS.

I look forward to seeing the creative works of my wonderful, inspired
colleagues.

Whoops!  I've got to get back to my own crafts projects now.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e