Giving and receiving

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Fri Nov 15 16:43:53 PST 2002

Harrison wrote
“What we have been freely given must be freely shared. Of course, that
raises the interesting question -- do we do everything for free? Of
course the answer is, No. At least I think the answer is, No.”
I think that’s a great question, only I would answer: Of course the
answer is, Yes.  At least I think the answer is, Yes.  :)

Better, I think, would be to rephrase the question to: “Do we do
everything that calls to us unconditionally and without regard to
payment?”

During that part of my life when I felt called to mediate, I eventually
gave up the practice of requesting money in exchange for my time.  What
was important to me then was to help people who were suffering through
the end stages of their marriages and who were grappling with how to
reconstruct a new life for themselves and their children.  I didn’t
think of myself as offering myself for free, but simply that I was
offering myself.   I freely offered my humanity, which had been freely
given to me.  I also freely accepted whatever they offered in return.
It was a giving and receiving for all of us.  We each freely chose what
we would give, and we each freely accepted what was given.  I felt very
comfortable and easy with this arrangement.  And I think the quality of
the time I spent with people improved dramatically.  For me, the
exchange of money as a condition for relationship interferes with
authentic relationship.

An unexpected learning came when I no longer felt called to mediate.
Not having those financial ties to the work made it easy to shift into
the new opportunities that opened up to me.  I became more flexible and
fluid in my choices because I was listening to my inner yearnings
instead of my inner fears.  Saying yes to those new opportunities was
also without condition.  Sometimes I received money and sometimes I
didn’t.  Money wasn’t a criteria for whether I said yes to any request.
I never raised the issue of money, and would respond honestly and openly
if someone else raised it.  My own inner sense of wanting to do the work
was my only criteria for deciding whether to do anything.  My motto
became Just Say Yes.  Eventually all those yeses turned into a job that
is fun, creative and fulfilling.  I suppose I’ll stay until it isn’t.

So far, so good.  Still have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, food
to eat.  And life has a certain sparkle and shine that was missing
before  ~~~

Julie