POETRY CONTEST ENTRIES

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Wed Nov 6 08:22:40 PST 2002

3 dots for #4 and 2 for # 5,
and congratulations to all poem writers!

Thanks
Gabriela
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Laurel and Rick
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 8:10 AM
  Subject: POETRY CONTEST ENTRIES

  OK, folks, grab your virtual sticky dots and get ready for some really tough choices.  I'd like to present the 14 wonderful entries into the biannual OSLIST POETRY CONTEST.  Please vote with 5 virtual sticky dots each, and send your replies to me by November 9th at noon, Pacific Standard Time.  Please vote by  number (best not to peek back at the list to ascertain who wrote what!).

  Brian, Viv and the Oz contingent, could you please post the entries on a wall at the OSonOSinOZ???  Here are the 14 entries . . . enjoy!

  1.

  ONOSONOS

  What is it?
  Is it a political movement?
  Or perchance just a social affair?
  Or is it a much deeper process?
  Does it have a mite 'mystical' air?
  Forfend we should try to define it,
  dissect it, titrate it, for fear
  that our postmodern administrations
  would destroy what we all hold so dear.
  (I just so much wish I were there!)

  2.

  THE SEED

  Crack open a possibility
  And get your bet down
  Roll the dice through the warm furrow
  Call forth the soaking, roiling heavens
  Breathe deep the gifts of sunny summer days
  And absorb the muscled mercies of a gardener¹s hand
  Commune with the change of seasons full and season¹s end
  Stretch out your sweet intention.
  Gather close all the children
  Whisper the truth
  Behold the future

  3.

  OSLIST

  The Open Space Community,

  A life-line this past year,

  Of invasions and uncertainty.

  Spirited conversations,

  Circling the globe,

  Weaving a web

  Of love, trust, hope, healing,

  And, best of all, challenge,

  Opening space in cyberspace,

  A technology for transformation.

  4.

  TRANSFORMATION

  Open space in your heart
  Drill down
  down
  down
  Past all fears
  Let them go
  Arrive in virgin open space
  Where you become brand new
  once again
  and greet yourself as if for the first time.

  5.

  TEN LINES FOR FRIENDS IN NOVEMBER

  Now, as vernal and autumnal dance their biannual swirl
  Over the sea out my window and diagonal to my point on this globe
  Vitality flows through the unexamined places
  Embraced by my friends as they gather in
  Marysville, non descript and of no particular geography
  But the centre of one of my worlds for a moment
  Explorers dancing in the space of decades
  Returning to their centres, the vast opened places

  1000 hearts could beat together in that place and yet
  One would be left behind, butterflying in descending darkness.

  6.

  Caught like a cup
  Full
  Brimmed with the beauty
  Of the human heart
  Alone together
  Alert
  To the tender intelligence
  Of the not quite born
  Becoming.

  7.

  I have felt the earthy peace that grows from the center of the circle.
  In rainy budapest the bus arrives; late that night we find small beds.
  The russians are coming after days on an ancient train.
  Morning in the village: eighty people, eighteen tongues, and the shock
  Of a coup in russia. the space yawns open like an earthquake fault.
  But peace is a living being, like snaking shoots of ivy that wrap and
  intertwine us.
  On the third day yeltsin stands triumphant in the street. and here a trunk
  yawns open:
  Vodka by the case, and eighty crystal glasses. we toast. we sing. we dance!
  My father taught me to hate the russians - their menacing blood-red on the
  world map - but
  I have felt the earthy peace that grows from the center of the circle.

  8.

  O...ne with the greater
  P...ractice letting go
  E...xpanding the
  N...ow
  - Together...
  S...tep into the unknown
  P...ractice peace
  A...ll dancing
  C...ircling
  E...merging

  9.

  back in the USA
  meeting friends south of San Francisco bay
  hearts opening in the october sun like garage doors
  marshmellow peeps and electrical bonfire
  Giants and Angels fighting everywhere
  national flags on the lawns
  pumpkins pumpkins pumpkins
  Bush Putin Sharon the Halloween monsters
  will I ever understand this country?
  hoping the cat sitter does a good job in Munich

  10.

  What is it ? what is it ?

  to go to the center

  and then leave it open

  to sit at the rim

  enjoying

  the space - the place - the now

  what touches my heart ?

  so deep and free

  to let myself and others

  so spaciously free to be ?

  11.

  A CIRCLE LINE IN OPEN SPACE

  the first line starts alone as mine
  line two is totally for you
  number three lets us now say: we
  a fourth one leads us further on
  to number five which gives life
  for a sixth one for to mix up
  with the seventh even yet having
  contact to the white number eight
  which leads to line number nine
  ending with ten in closing down -- to one again.

  12.

  leaves are falling in the twilight
  all over the world
  on secret lakeshores and mountainsides.