Open Space proceedings - web posting flip chart pics (long)

Winston Kinch kinch at rogers.com
Fri Nov 29 06:46:05 PST 2002

Hi gang:

Mid October I posted a message about a small Open Space I had done a week
or so before, where we used digital pictures of the reports as the final
output and posted them on the web (free). I said at that time I would
follow up to see what feedback there was about the process and as well
share the actual output with you.

Larry's recent post with all the wonderful pictures of the Hawaii gig
reminded me I had not yet done so. Fact is I haven't had much feedback
since the sponsor did not formally go back to the participants after the
event (which is the only time they could see the results), but anyway here
is an excerpt from my previous post (to remind why we did it this way),
followed by essentially the whole text of an email which I drafted for the
sponsor to send to the group before they arrived home in various parts of
Europe and the US - to explain how to use the "briefcase".

If you choose go to the briefcase you will find there are two Folders. The
first, named "Conference Proceedings" is what was available the day after
the conference, the second is some other pics taken at the session which
one or other of the group has subsequently posted; a little twist that
didn't occur to me originally but which I like...

(this from my previous post)
To avoid potential (multilingual) computer complexities and maximize the
potential for personal expression, we used flip charts for reporting. I
took pictures of them with a digital camera, edited them to make
reasonable-sized files and uploaded them to Yahoo Briefcase (a free storage
space facility on Yahoo). Then I sent an email to all the participants with
detailed instructions on how to use the facility, giving them my
username and password so they can go and peruse and download or print
reports/pictures as they wish. Other than a fair bit of time to edit
(rotate, crop, etc.), name and upload forty pictures, the process went
quite smoothly. I will let you know what if any feedback I get as to how
well this works for the participants - in fact now that I think of it, I am
going to ask the sponsor to elicit some from them after a couple of weeks..

And here is the email sent to the group, now for your use if you wish (the
instructions are very detailed since I wanted them to be useable by someone
with very little knowledge of computers).

Hello to all:

I hope you enjoyed Opening some Space for Focusing with Children!

The proceedings of our time together are stored on the internet at Yahoo
"Briefcase". To view them you must sign in as me. My ID is "focusingwith"
(note there is no space between the words, and do not include the quotation
marks) and my password is  children" (lower case, and again no quote
marks). The only time you will not be able to access them is if someone
else (also as me) is already doing so, so try again later...

To access the reports (pictures) go to http://ca.briefcase.yahoo.com, click
on "sign in" on the right hand side and follow the instructions using the
ID and password above.

Once you have signed in, you will see a file folder named "Conference
Proceedings". Click on the words and it will bring up the contents of the
folder which may be shown as a "list" of names or a set of "thumbnails"
(very small pictures). You can click on either of these words above
contents to view the folder one way or the other. Then click on one of the
names (or thumbnails) to see the picture in what is called "screen size".

Once the picture is on the screen, you can choose to see a larger version
by clicking on full size" above the picture (you can return to screen size
by clicking that word above the full size version or using the "back"
button on your browser). Some of the pictures, where the report was written
in very small characters or with pale coloured pens will need to be viewed
"full size" to be easily legible.

To navigate around in the folder, you can just start at the beginning, open
the first picture and keep clicking "next" or "previous" (above the
pictures) to proceed through the pictures in a sequential fashion. Each
picture will have the name of its topic - or rather a short form that was
assigned. Where there was more than one flip chart for a given report, they
are numbered.

If you decide you want to save any of the pictures, you have a number of
choices (these instructions are for Internet Explorer but other browsers
will have equivalent procedures). Open the picture you want, and "right
click" on it. A dialogue box will show, which includes the options "save
picture as" and "print picture". Click on one of these and you can save the
picture on your own computer (from where you can then print it,
manipulate it or view it whenever you wish) or simply print it directly
from the briefcase on your computer. The size of the files has been reduced
(very few are more than 100kb) so they should not take too long to
download.

A word of caution. Since you are all signing in as "me", the briefcase
becomes "yours" while you are signed in. Please be careful not to delete
the pictures, as your colleagues will then no longer be able to see them...

I am passing control of this briefcase back to Lucy at this point (just
think of her as "focusingwith" "children" - not difficult to do). So please
address any future messages to her at her e-mail address.

I hope you found your time in Open Space productive and that I will see
you there again some day.

Shalom
Winston