OS on View with Indiv Convergence

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Nov 28 07:32:00 PST 2002

Folks:

After a wonderful time at OSonOS in OZ, I was involved in a great OS in
Honolulu and thought I would pass on the particulars.  It was with the
State Department of Education with a theme of Implementing Career
Pathways.  This is a US federal initiative to develop pathways for
students pursing technical careers requiring college and university
education.  It begins with a focus in high school and goes on to
colleges and universities.  A good idea, but it takes initiative from
everyone across the system to move forward - good for OS, eh?

They had a traditional conference last year and this year invited those
who wanted to explore how to actually implement the thing to come.  350
folks did and had a wonderful time, produced over 40 reports and we did
do "individual" convergence.  I've done this a few times now.

The sponsors were clear that what they wanted most was individuals (and
local groups that came) to go back to their schools, colleges,
businesses or organizations and take action to move this idea forward.
So at the beginning (opening) folks were asked to consider what actions
they might take.  There was a two fold "closing".  When we gathered in
the circle, people were asked to consider their list of possible
personal actions and pick one and develop some more clarity as to their
personal (and in some cases small group) next steps.  I gave them 15
minutes.  Then I became the carrier of the "taking piece" - the mike,
and asked those who were willing to state to the group the actions they
were going to take.  I walked the room, made eye contact and many (even
from the back rows) told of what they were planning to do.  Some really
neat stuff.  Then we did the more traditional closing and I carried the
mike again around the room and passed it to those wanting to make
comments (I said nothing once it started and got out of the way when
they were talking.)

The event is up in pictures on the web site, plus the "networking"
evening sponsored by some of the companies involved.  So if you want to
see the images or even download some reports check: www.hawaii.edu/cte .

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation