Giving and receiving

Anne Pattillo pattillo at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Nov 14 11:56:20 PST 2002

At the recent OSonOSinOZ Peggy Holman posted a topic on "Giving Back".
A number of us gathered to look at the dynamic of giving in the context
of the OS community.  In a wide ranging discussion we touched on a
number of key points:

*       That open space is embodied with a spirit of generosity
*       That the process of giving and serving has unexpected benefits
personally and for the community
*       That reciprocity within a spirit of generosity is not an
transaction of "I give to you, you give to me" rather like the breath of
life it is an act of giving forward, giving unconditionally
*       That receiving is a more challenging prospect that giving

On a practical level, we talked about the generosity of the OSLIST as a
key community resource of the OS community.  Some questions we wanted to
share with our community are

*         Are there barriers to giving and receiving in the OS
community?
*         Where is our marketplace for giving to care for and strengthen
the OS community?
*         How to us each open space programme/interaction as an
invitation to open more space?
*         How do we model generosity and sharing information?

An on a really practical level we identified a couple of things that
would make a difference to the care of the community and extending the
initiation to open space:

*       Finding an easy way to navigate to OS stories with similar
themes on the OSLIST or in other place
*       Extending the OS resources into a bigger range of languages -
e.g. Haitian, Mandarin

How does each of us live in that spirit of generosity, and how do we
strengthen our practice of that generous spirit.

Anne Pattillo
PO Box 683
Wellington
Tel:  +64 4 4732702