ireland - friend seeking counsel on first open space

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Wed May 22 16:32:56 PDT 2002

Hi, Patrick, and welcome to our global learning community!

And congratulations to jumping right in to Open Space!

I think your theme sounds good, and I agree with Joelle and others that
there is absolutely no need to include pre-written discussion topics.  Have
faith in the group, breathe through the initial silence, and you'll be
amazed indeed.  And regarding notes - if asked I often say it can really
help to take stream-of-consciousness notes rather than summary points - even
the ideas that don't get worked through or the rhetorical questions that
come up can be jewels for the proceedings readers.  For a one day session
you'll have great networking and resource/idea-sharing going on.  It is not
my choice to include convergence in this short an OS.

I have some material, if you like, that I'd be happy to share with you -
some worksheets for preparing and planning signage, the time/space matrix,
materials and more.  This is just one person's way of doing things, but it
might spark off some ideas for you.  Just let me know if you would like me
to send these to you.  I shall be away at the International Association of
Facilitators conference, and I shall be back home to answer your email after
May 29th.

If anyone else wants these, by the way, just let me know.  Happy to share,
and perhaps you'll have some comments on how to improve them.

Take care, all, from sunny Berkeley, California,

Lisa

- - -
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator
Open Space Technology and Experiential Learning

2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106  USA
(+01) 510 548-8449