a word from a friend

Heidi and Dan Chay chay at alaska.com
Sun May 19 00:23:11 PDT 2002

Hi Tova,

It is a treat to hear from you this evening, to read of your interest in
"peace-making," and to hear directly from your experiences again.

I also enjoy that you wrote "peace-making" as a being-becoming pair
rather than simply "peace," which in my mind fails to illuminate the
creativity which is needed.

When Julie Smith originated the theme "Becoming a Peacemaker" for the
Open Space gathering we had in Fairbanks, Alaska, last month, I think
she also intuitively pointed to the being-becoming creative aspect
incumbent upon us.

Julie visited with lots of people as she came up with that theme.  I
think it didn't come easily. Many emails passed my way as she shared
draft after draft with me and others.  As she often does, she was
care-taking.

Since then, she has transcribed a book of proceedings...a LOT of work.
More care-taking. That will go on the web soon.

Yesterday upon returning from Valdez, I discovered that we had received
a used copy of "The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse, the book to which
Chris referred. Partly on the merits of this book, one of the first
books to be published in Germany after WWII, Hesse received the 1946
Nobel Prize.

>From the foreword to my translation of "The Glass Bead Game" are a
couple observations about Hesse and his works:

During the era of WWI, Hesse, "living in Switzerland since 1912, found
that his outspoken pacifism alienated many of his former friends and
readers, who succumbed to a wave of martial exhilaration sweeping over
Europe..."

"Hesse's novels fictionalize the admonitions of an outsider who urges us
to question accepted values, to rebel against the system, to challenge
conventional 'reality' in the light of higher ideals."

Here is a story from the Guardian Unlimited about Israeli "seruvniks"
who refuse to serve beyond the 1967 ceasefire lines:
http://www.observer.co.uk/worldview/story/0,11581,717559,00.html

The Guardian Unlimited recently has been full of horrible
pictures/stories of violence and destruction in different parts of the
world.  I think peace-making and care-taking needs to take many forms,
and we can hope to help by strengthening and enriching all the
constructive connections we can.

I love the images of peace-maker rebellion and constructive conflict.
<grin> Eh, Julie? <grin>

The peace-making baby given birth in Fairbanks by Julie, Michael, Judi,
Chris, and approximately 300 others is growing.  Now people in Kenai,
Anchorage, and Fairbanks are planning Open Spaces in each of their
communities around the theme "Becoming A Peacemaker," (9-11BAP)
scheduled for September 11, 2002.

We're in the early stages of planning and organizing.  A first draft of
some of our thinking is on the web at:
http://www.adsa.ws/BAP/BAPOSCs.htm
Peace-making, care-taking, and other people are invited to join us on
the 9-11BAP listserve as well.

Who knows?  Maybe the idea will take on a life of its own?

Thanks, Tova.

Grins,

Dan Chay
chay at alaska.com