A Partial Diary of the Collective Buddha

kenoli Oleari kenoli at igc.org
Sat May 11 14:32:18 PDT 2002

For me, givens are statements of realities, in a way, disclosure
statements.  They are particularly important in processes like Open
Space where a high degree of initiative is "given" to participants.
There is nothing worse than to hold out a promise then take it away.
If the outcomes of an open space are simply advisory, this must be
presented up front as a "given" so that folks do not feel deceived if
the outcomes are not implemented.  Being disappointed at something
like this is OK.  Being deceived, is not.

--Kenoli

>Judith--
>
>Well is "given" just a softer way of saying "regulation" or "rules," or is
>there more there that I am missing?
>
>                               :-Doug.
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,
Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: kenoli at igc.org (or click on: mailto://kenoli@igc.org)