Fw: OST as a conference track

kenoli Oleari kenoli at igc.org
Wed May 8 08:44:10 PDT 2002

What an exciting story.  It seems like a "touchy" thing to suggest,
and not intended as a "non-collaborative" strategy, but I see a
constructively "subversive" quality to open space here.  Since it so
much (and so easily) mobilizes the "wisdom in the room", it may be a
good tool to "politely" free that wisdom when it is feeling squelched.

I was also struck by Brian saying "since I only know open space".  I
am beginning to finally understand that when it comes to process,
"less" really is "more".  Marv Weisbord and Sandra Janoff use the
slogan "Don't just do something, stand there." as part of their
workshop on facilitating "whole systems."  As we facilitate Future
Search (which many of you know is, in appearance, very structured
compared to Open Space, but, from my experience with both, of similar
spirit and character) we are learning to be as minimally present as
facilitators as possible.  The work and wisdom is there and comes
from the participants.  As facilitators, we are not experts, either
in content or process, but there more as midwives.

The parentheses in the last paragraph made me stop and think about
structure.  It is easy to see Future Search as more structured than
Open space, but I am realizing that I am not sure it really is.  Both
impose some very rigid structure in certain ways and at certain
points and then turn things loose to participants fully within that
structure.

I recently had a chance to spend some times with Tom Hurley the
director of the Chaordic Commons, an institute growing out of Dee
Hock's work.  It has caused me to think more about this balance
between chaos and order.  As most of you are probably aware, there
are some ideas floating around that life (and perhaps meaning?) flows
in the narrow path where there is a balance between chaos and order,
losing out if things move too much into either chaos or order.

Perhaps Open Space and Future Search are examples of tools that
strike a balance between the two, each in its own way.  I think the
point has something to do with sensing that balance and knowing how
to stand in paradox -- the creative tension between order and chaos.
Can we avoid our "need" to "do something" and instead, just stand
there in "chaos" most of the time, stepping forward with that bit of
just enough "order" when that is needed?  I sense that this space is
rooted in our capacity to show up in full authenticity, immediately
sensitive to, and fully attentive to, the energy in the room.

--Kenoli

--Kenoli

--Kenoli

>Brian,
>
>You said:
>>  I don't know if others might be
>>  interested in it, and would be happy for you to add it to the LIST if
>>  you think so.
>
>This is such a WONDERFUL story!  I have no doubt others will benefit from
>it, as I have.
>
>Thank you,
>Peggy

Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,
Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: kenoli at igc.org (or click on: mailto://kenoli@igc.org)