A Partial Diary of the Collective Buddha/Interview with David Weinberger

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue May 7 10:33:43 PDT 2002

Thanks, Christine ~

Bringing Chris' post back to mind again this morning helps me see
another piece.  You said:

> I have found the OST community to be a powerful spiritual community.
> Chris
> reminded us of http://www.cluetrain.com and pointed us to the Fast
Company
> interview with David Weinberger and his theses:
>
> 1.  On the Web fame is local.
> 2.  The Web is all about groups
> 3.  Knowledge on the Web is a social activity
> 4.  The Web returns us to ourselves
> 5.  The Web will have it's deepest effect as an idea.

All of this points to the dynamic interaction that happens on the web.
It's very verb-like, active, dynamic, moving, changing.  That energy
combined with the intensity of the events surrounding September 11
created an interplay of sharing unlike anything I've ever experienced
before.

One of the reasons I want to pull that together and print it into a
document (very concrete, unchanging and noun-like) is because the vast
majority of people I know didn't experience what we experienced here.
They weren't part of this community and they weren't part of any other
community that was anything like this.

In a few short months, the world will turn its attention back to
September 11, 2001.  What will all of us, the
world-collective-Buddha-self, say?

I guess I was thinking that what was shared here might be worth sharing
out there, that what happened here would be something positive to add to
the collective voice out there.  If that isn't a good idea for all kinds
of reasons, then at least I want to print out a copy for myself, and put
it on the table in my living room, so perhaps my husband or kids or
friends might pick it up and enter into the collective energy that has
been created here.

What happened here was inspiring.  I think it's worth sharing.

Julie