OST as a conference track

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Mon May 6 20:17:38 PDT 2002

Hi Eddie,

In IAF last year OS was not planned at all, though Lisa proposed the organizers to have OS as one of sessions.
As it appears that several trainer refused to provide promissed workshops ON THE DAY OF THEIR ARRIVAL on the conference, there was a lot of empty place, time, though it was really a problem with promoting and that all people were already signed for other workshops. We really have less then one day to just make announcements....

not an ideal situation at all, that's true.

I did agree to help her with my pleasure, though was not sure how it would go in that situation. I don't regret. I learned a lot. and tryed to explain everybody what was going and what usually is on real OS.

so, the idea was to try, may be it is possible to say, 'edges' of OS. So you see, you also have some thought on this

We tryied to find at least the topic to benefit all the trainers getting together "I - the facilitator", as I think the conference missed this opportunity of a big trainers gathering exchange, but because of the no pre-planning it was like it was.

I don't think it was a total failure, as the good work was done, and good conversaton on this was held. to those, who was interested in the topic, there was the result. Yes, some people went to the other sessions, after discussions, which was planned before, and some came for closing session where the explanations and answering questions were done: Real OS - it depends a lot on topic, where people volunteered to come, and not just 'training process' which was the most focused idea on the conference...

I've heard about providing OS by a new comer on this meetings, and he was very satisfied with learning about this method and books about it....so it goes as it goes, though I would prefer, that it was better

But it was so nice to hear your oppinion, which is very close to mine.

good luck

and best wishes

elena marchuk, novosibirsk