violent conflict and Love and Crossing Open Space

Judi Richardson Richarjl at akerley.nscc.ns.ca
Thu May 2 08:04:18 PDT 2002

I have been observing the thread of violent conflict with interest.  I
have also been observing how other threads weave through.  (Laurel’s
words --things necessarily include steering itself through itself)  My
interest comes from my experience working and studying in these areas,
my family ties to Columbia, civil rights movements, and the pain I hold
in my heart when I hear of and experience warring factions, youth
entering schools with guns, my son’s friend who was recently killed in
Kandahar from “friendly fire”, and one more local teenager who just
took his own life due to bullying in schools.  I am blessed to find
myself currently living in Canada where, at this moment in time, there
is no national guard standing on duty, guns at the ready.

My family has moved from Mariquita, Columbia due to the violence.  Two
years ago I found myself interviewing Alejandro Moya from Bogota.  He
and a group of concerned people have been working on setting up an
alternative school based on their Buddhist philosophies around peace.
Even in the midst of unbelievable violations of human dignity, there are
those who are holding space for a different way.

The threads weaving, interconnect, touch, and move on with questions,
uttered vulnerability, inviting space:
Dylene speaks of like attracting like:
“Not sure, but I think some answers rest in intentions.  I think when
someone meets the world with a sword; it meets them back the same way.
When someone comes with an open heart, they meet open hearts.  When
someone comes with agendas, they will meet agendas.  Call it a karmic
mirror?  OST has made me more aware that anything is possible, not just
the narrow set of outcomes I banked on and struggled against for so
long.”

And several have posted messages of organizational restructure.  The
scientific and academic communities needing documented “proof” of
the viability of OST.

Birgitt spoke of the "subtle shift in ongoing behavior experienced by
youth gangs."

(I would note here that we have noticed the same subtle shifts in
ongoing behavior here in Atlantic Canada working with young offenders,
victims of crime, and human rights issues such as First Nation’s
(tribal peoples) rights.)

And several have written in response to love:

Harrison wrote - "Acceptance and Challenge -- just Love. I find that
really doing all of the above is not accomplished with out energy and
intention."

Birgitt again, "Within Open Space Technology, we have a magnificent
window to heighten our conscious awareness about our choices."

Chris wrote -- "It is also something that can never be experienced by
talking about it; so putting words on it like this is folly."

A quote on my desk caught my eye when I started this –
“Occasionally in life there are those moments of unutterable
fulfillment which cannot be completely explained by those symbols called
words.  Their meanings can only be articulated by the inaudible language
of the heart.”  Martin Luther King, Jr.

I watch the words – rest and motion, acceptance and challenge.  And I
"see" no duality — they can rest together in one place.  What offers
from my knowing is the word “unconditional”….  Beyond words and in
words…

Blessings,