His Ruminations on Spirit

Jim Metcalf jim9654 at altelco.net
Thu May 2 07:57:46 PDT 2002

Dear Fellow Travelers in Open Space,

Thank you to all of you who have stimulated my thinking with such
sincere and open thoughts on the nature of spirit. You have challenged
me, and I am sure, accepted that I and other of us more silent types
would accept you and your offerings. You are brave and good people.

As part of my thanks, I would offer you these markers of where I am upon
the way.
It seems to me that both "Logos" and "Tao" are philosophical Rorschach
words. They tend to take on new meaning as often as we use them. John
certainly transformed the use of "Logos" as he penned the first words of
the Gospel. Prof. Won Yong Ji, Th.D,. (an interesting and erudite Korean
who spent much of his adult life speaking German and doing German-Asian
theology) once opined that "Tao" was an arguably excellent translation
of "Logos" and that the use of it would transform the meaning of "Tao"
in that context while transforming the Gospel, just as "Logos" had
centuries ago.
One difficulty that we enter into philosophically is the metaphorical
nature of all language.
Harrison's understanding of love as acceptance and challenge is one I
will cherish and contemplate in conjunction with other understandings of
"Love" including one which Saul of Tarsus offered a long time ago,
namely, "joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness, and self-control."
What if the whole business of creation is an act of love?
Love, joy, and peace be with you all. You are wonderful people.

Jim