Access Queen asks: How do you raise money for your trip to OZ?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri May 31 12:25:02 PDT 2002

Hello, it's me again, your friend AQ.

So you want to go to the global Open Space gathering in November, but you
don't have the funds?

It's time to think creatively.

Maybe YOU  don't have the funds...but maybe someone else on this list or in
your other networks and communities does.  All it takes is the asking.  The
following sources won't pay your whole amount, but put them all together
and...you never know...

- - - - -
Method #1:  Ask the Open Space Institute
- - - - -

Write a request for funding to the OSI Board and explain how you feet the
criteria below.  They wish to provide funding...

·        To support underserved areas
·        To provide support that is leveraged to reach multiple people
·        To match recipients' actions and resources with OSI-US actions and
funds
·        To have a commitment from the recipient to share the story of their
OST experience.

So in your letter you will want to illustrate how their funding you will
fulfill these goals.

You can send your request to

usa at openspaceworld.org

- - - - -
Method #2: Start a Fund and Ask Your Friends to Contribute
- - - - -

I started a Melbourne fund to collect money to share with those of you who
have lower incomes and are hoping to get to Melbourne -- and miraculously
money is growing in it.

I received some money from Chris and Laurel after everything was paid off
from our last OSonOS in Vancouver, Canada last year - about $1000 US
(thanks, you two!)

and then...(which brings me to Method #3)

- - - - -
Method #3: Create Something Amazing And Sell It!
- - - - -

Some additional funds came into my Melbourne fund from our creative
colleagues in Germany (thank you Michael Pannwitz and Florian Fisher!).
Michael facilitated the first Open Space Learning Exchange in Germany.
There, they organized a trading session for hand-colored covers to the Book
of Proceedings just before the reading phase of the OS.  All the money
flowing during that bazaar was deposited in a box - totaling up to 200 Euro!

But wait, there's more...

Later that morning one participant demonstrated his juggling skills at an
appropriate junction, resulting in a few Euros more so that Michael and
Florian's contribution grew to 235 Euros!

- - - - -
Method #4: Share Your Frequent Flyer Miles
- - - - -

If anyone has frequent flyer miles to share, let me know and we can add that
to the pool for giving away to help each other get to Melbourne.

- - - - -
Method #5: Show Me The Money
- - - - -

If any of you have some extra money to share with those who have less,
contact me directly and I shall give you the information so you can put it
in my Melbourne fund.

- - - - -
Method #6: Get More Ideas
- - - - -

If any of you have other ideas on how to raise money, let me know and I
shall share them in future Access Queen messages.

- - - - -
Method #7: Let Us Know You Need Help
- - - - -

We will never know to help you if you don't let us know.  If you want, you
can write a paragraph about yourself and I will introduce you as someone who
would like some financial support in a future Access Queen message.  That
way we can raise each others' awareness of who can help whom.

- - - - -
Method #8: Don't Forget The Pocket Money
- - - - -

Sometimes it is hard enough to get funding to come to an OSonOS, but when
you get there, for some people, the pocket money for one day (out of pocket
expenses for meals, transportation, etc.) equals - for folks from some
countries -- more than several month's salary.  So one way you can share
your resources is to pay for other peoples meals, etc. or slip them $20 a
day *during* the OS so that you can help them socialize with everyone else
without it being a further financial burden.

- - - - -
Method #9: Believe In The Possibilities And Trust The Unknown
- - - - -

Sometimes you just have to take the step of believing that you will get
there.  Why don't you go ahead and register for OSonOS, and then the rest
will come together miraculously?  It has worked for me for two OSonOS's in a
row.

For an invitation and other details on OSonOS in OZ:
http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos

- - - - -

Anybody have some additional methods to share?

Lisa

- - -
L i s a   H e f t
Access Queen