OST as a conference track

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Tue May 7 15:18:11 PDT 2002

Eddie, you wrote of OS at the UK International Association of Facilitators
conference last year and Elena, you shared the story of our doing an OS at
the IAF conference in the US last year.

I’d like to add that in this year’s (actually, later this month) IAF
conference in the US, I will be holding an Open Space on the last day of the
conference.  Someone proposed this in our last-year’s workshop – have an
Open Space as the final day of the conference to help people learn anything
else they need to from each other, to enrich their networks, and to reflect
on what they’ve learned.

Well, the conference itself decided to do an Open Space-like gathering for a
few hours on last official day, and my workshop will be on what is described
as a *post*-conference day (after that).  With the current economy being
what it is, many people decided not to come this year and a good number of
them are flying home before my workshop day.  Maybe it will work, maybe it
won’t.  Hey, whatever happens.  Maybe I’ll let you know of the successes of
a really tiny Open Space, as for now only two participants have signed up!

But it’s another experiment in how OS can serve a not-totally-OS conference.

And hey, if you know of anyone coming to Texas for this particular
conference, tell them to drop in and join our OS on May 27th!

Lisa

- - -
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator
Open Space Technology and Experiential Learning

2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106  USA
(+01) 510 548-8449