OS for science?

Larry Philbrook larry at icatw.com
Tue Mar 26 00:01:46 PST 2002

Attn: Lynn Myhal

Laura Hsu reminded me that I should respond to this question because I have
not been paying attention to the list serv.

OS for science:
My colleague Jorie Wu and I did an open space for the Institute for
Information's Sciences of Academia Sinica which is the national think tank
of Taiwan.  These were all different individuals involved in Edge
Development of Information Technology some as researchers within IIS and
others as University Professors or private sector researchers also involved
in the field.  Short answer is open space works.  We opened the space and
the group filled it with their conversation much of it from perspectives
they had not dialogued in before.  Obviously there were diverse opinions and
rivalries present in the group but one of the many gifts of open space is it
allows for diversity and in that space many times healing takes place.

I can not tell you much about the content because of confidentiality
agreements.  The work before with the sponsor was critical because the
language and setting up of the container are critical.

Academic circles often are trained to close the space rapidly with criticism
but by holding them softly they realize that this is what is happening and
that they have other options.  Before you know it they are off and running.

I had worked with several of the members of this group before on a strategic
thinking workshop and dialogue process so there was a level of trust and
respect already established which allowed them to feel safer in taking the
plunge into open space.

With respect, Larry